Short for thermoplastic polyolefin, TPO is a single-ply roofing membrane that offers excellent performance at a cost-effective price. Heat-welded seams provide superior strength. TPO's long-term heat, UV, and natural fungal resistance, plus flexibility without need for plasticizers also make TPO a reliable low-slope roofing system.
In the 20+ years that TPO has been in the field, it’s become one the most popular products used for low-slope roofing. Over 1 billion square feet are installed annually, making up over 50% of single-ply roofs being installed today.
The Benefits of a TPO Roofing SystemThe rapid rise in popularity can be associated with several of TPO’s inherent benefits, including:
- Great Value: Excellent performance at a cost effective price.
- Excellent Seam Strength: Heat-welded seams provide greater seam strength to taped and other seams.
- Long-term Weathering: Excellent long-term heat and UV resistance.
- Energy Saving: Highly reflective and emissive white surface can help reduce energy costs and urban heat island effect
- Inherently Flexible: No need for plasticizers
- Naturally Fungal Resistant: Doesn’t require biocides.
- Versatile Application Methods: Including high-performance roofs requiring high wind uplift, increased puncture resistance, or quick economical systems.